Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Interfacing with existing Mecklenburg Master Address Locator

I have obtained the master address locater for Mecklenburg county. This data is stored in a shapefile as point features with a large amount of database info. Each point on the map below represents an address that has been geocoded, the table beside of it represents the attribute data for that specific address:



I will use this existing data to create the references to indoor locations. I believe by giving each room a point in the address locater, it will be possible to do query's and other such data manipulation with the indoor data. Since I already have the point locations for Woodward hall it will be as simple as copying and pasting the points into the Master Address table and updating the attribute information.

Since there is no "standard practice" for indoor geocoding I will have to develop a model to use that will enable me to do query's and location analysis the same way as regular addresses.

Once this is finished I should be able to facilitate route finding indoors by not only selecting points in space, but also by running queries on the location name or room number itself.

No comments: